Old 03-15-2021, 05:12 PM   #335
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanstin View Post
Saw your vids on the JDL 4-2-1. Love it! What was the sound like with just the headers? I'm looking for something a little bassier not too loud to pair with them and I cannot find any exhaust videos with EL headers out there.

Also, have you gotten around to trying the CSG touring86?

Thanks!

I got the R400 catback first (basically a month after I got the car) so unfortunately I don’t really know what the JDL header is like with the stock exhaust. However, poke and prod around and you’ll find a ton of people using the ACE A350 with the stock exhaust. I’d expect it to sound very similar, if not the exact same as the JDL 4-2-1 with the rest of the stock exhaust bits.

I’ve been mulling over selling the R400 and replacing it with the Touring86, or, trying that exhaust hanger swap (to the OEM part no. 44066AJ010).

I love the sound of the R400, don’t get me wrong. It was the perfect tone and volume with the stock header, and still maintains that perfect tone with the header.

However, with the header there is (obviously) a slight volume increase. It is not a problem at all in low-load city cruising (where it is still just as quiet as before and drone-less) and at WOT where it sounds flippin’ awesome without being too loud. But, on the highway it does drone from 120-125kph under a bit of load (going up an incline) with the JDL header.

If I was starting all over and buying a catback again, I’d definitely go with the Touring86 knowing that I’d be pairing it with a header since it is specifically designed to do so.

Then again - it looks like the exhaust hanger trick has worked for quite a few people to kill that drone/cabin resonance. So I may just do that.

Last edited by JBezugs; 03-16-2021 at 09:15 AM.
JBezugs is offline   Reply With Quote