View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
great dvice so far.

the key thing to remember is that all season are just that, average at best in every season.

because the BRZ is so light and not awd you actually want a softer compound liek a studless snow tire offers for more grip. just dont get something with a super low speed rating and then highway driving will be fine. i went with blizzak WS70 and will post up when they are on.

basically even if you dont get snow you want a compound that wont turn into a hockey puck when the temps drop. also its not only the dry and snow you have to worry about but in winter there are a lot of wet and 'awkward' condition days you know? you want something that will make good contact with the road, summer tires and some all seasons do not get warm enough in super cold days thus they remain hard and its actually pretty dangerous for a car that is as light and rwd like the brz. winter compound is much softer and those ridges that give you great traction in low speed actually close up at highway speeds.

NOTHING will beat a dedicated winter and a dedicated summer setup. not only is it more cost effective in the long run, but your car will perform better.

here are tires you should consider.

Nokian hakkapalita (or however you spell it)
Nokian WRg2 (if you are REALLY set on all seasons)
Blizzak ws70
dunlop wintersport 3m or pirelli sottozero II (i had both on my sti and they are more performance orriented so not as soft as studless snows)

if you want something really cheap General altimax but these are pretty soft so at 70+ you feel like you're floating but the snow grip is amazing.

i bought my old STi in december. the week i got it we got snow and my snow tires didn't arrive yet. it had BRAND NEW summer tires needles to say even with awd and the ability to lock differentials AND me starting off in 2nd that car would lack too much grip for me to be able to feel safe driving it. any throttle input and it broke loose. just some first hand knowledge...
yeah my buddy has KDW's on his 04 sti and last winter he left my house as it was just starting to snow out barely anything on the road , he went around a turn slowly and it lost control and slowly slid into the only car parked on the side of the road for no reason the guy should have parked in his driveway and didnt stupid *facepalm* so he had a crushed in rear 1/4 panel thank god insurance claimed it as no fault since the asshole parked his car on the side of the road rather than in his driveway
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote