View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
Simok

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Help, Electeical problem?

Hi not sure if this should go here or under elctronics. So I purchased a 2013 frs manual back in 2015, certified preowned from bob smith toyota in la crescenta. The car was owned by one of their sales people previously.

Last saturday night when I was driving home I noticed my abs and traction control lights(the one you get when it activates) were on. I pulled over and turned the car on and off, and it went away. I drove the car to work monday and tuesday about 20mi round trip with no issues. Wednesday when I left for work I noticed the lights came on immediately l, I turned the car on and off and they came right back on. As I was entering the freeway, accelerating steadily the acceleration seemed to cut out for a moment, then came back, it did this two times. When I arrived at work I noticed that when the headlights are off and the brake is pressed the clock turns off and the radio buttons illuminate(usually only happens whe the head lights are on). And when the head lights are on they both work normally.

I decided to take it to the dealer afterwork. When I got there they immediately started with the blame game. Before even looking at it saying its the aftermarket headunit, and I should take it back to who installed it and have them clean up their wiring. Otherwise they would have to charge me $140 to trace the wires. They also mentioned the aftermarket intake(which is a trd intake installed by them), and the aftermarket exhaust(ark dts), if I had a tune, and asked if I drift the car or do burnouts(which I dont). So anyway I opted for the $140 for them to trace the wires.

They called me the next day and said they went as far as they could for $140. They said they noticed no acceleration issue and said they found three codes, c1231, c1241, c1249. They said they worked on it for 3 plus hours and took the dash apart and all the wiring is spaghetti under the dash. They said "tech found higher resistance then listed in spec from repair manual, soec is below 1ohm and found 2.3 ohms. They recomend chasing the steering angle sensor circut and removing the dash to see where the resistance is coming from". And that will be another $840 at least. They said I should go have the headunit rewired. They also said I should not drive the car as it is unsafe because the traction control and abs are not currently working. Upon leaving the dealer I noticed the acceleration issue two more times making a total of 4 times.

They only aftermarket electronics I have installed are
Didoe dynamics multicolored running lights which are wirres at the running light bulb location in the headlights and have no splicing or mods to factory wiring. It has a rear 4th brake light kit that I beleive has only 3 connections to factory wiring on the brake light. Both have been on the car for a couple years with no issue. The dealer didnt mention either of these mods as a possible issue.

And an aftermarket headunit and backup camera. The headunit is a CA-FI Dashlinq 4.1 and was installed by Fuzion Technique along with the backup camera they supplied. Im pretty sure the only wiring done for that was right behind the headunit and most of it was connected plug and play with a harness. This was done early 2015 and have no poblems with either.

Dose anyone have any suggestions what do or where to take it? I am going to call Fuzion Technique today to see what they say. I just dont want to cause more problems by having things rewired especially if they screwed it up to begin with. Im dont think it has to do with the headunit, but Im not sure. This weekend I am going to look behind the headunit an trace the wires to see if in fact all the wiring for it is right behind it.
Simok is offline   Reply With Quote