Old 03-29-2023, 10:13 AM   #27
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Do I see changes like this coming for the BRZ/86 platform? Yes. In 2025? Nope.

As someone else already identified, 2025 is only three years into this generation's run, and I can't see Toyota and Subaru overhauling the car to that extent in this generation. What they are talking about is a generational change not something you'd toss in the car in the middle of it's lifecycle. Due to all the production and ordering problems, they are likely a long way from recouping developmental costs from what we have on the market now, let along a massive change like what is described in the article.

I an see a tubro/hybrid powertrain coming. That isn't hard to believe. What I don't like is the idea of using the IS platform. Those cars are overwheight pigs as is. Both the coupe and the sedan would actually be really great driving cars if they weren't hamstrung by weight and anemic engines (exception of the V8). Using that platform in any shape with a high-strung 1.6L engine would really be a bad idea.

Bring on the new engine, I'd be welling to see how it shapes up. However, PLEASE don't cram it in a variation of the IS platform.
With upcoming mandates regarding EVs, it's very hard to believe. I don't see Toyota/Subaru spending the amount of money it would take re-engineer the platform and make it wildly more expensive when the entire goal is to be an affordable 2+2 sports car.

They will make a few small updates over the model run, maybe a few special editions with exclusive colors and such.

I expect this platform to maybe last as long as the first gen and then it will gone for good. Unless they just use the badge for a 4-door EV, ala Ford Mustang Mach E.
soundman98 (03-30-2023)