Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,572 Times in 18,956 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettRS View Post
Maybe not many people here work on their own cars or maybe the ones that do don't actively monitor the forums. I'm just hoping to get some help from someone that has a bit more knowledge than me, so I can make an informed decision on whether to get the car back from the dealer and attempt the EPS motor replacement alone, or if I need to pony up the $1500 and get a new steering column. If my faux pas ends up saving me a grand, sorry for clogging up your thread, but I'll be happy that someone saw it and helped me who might not have otherwise, because I am struggling to get any responses or suggestions in my troubleshooting thread.
FWIW, I think posting in this thread was a pro move. We're the daily crowd and many of us work on our own stuff. Some of us do so exclusively.

That being said, I am at work now. I did see your thread and planned on digging a bit but it looks like @Tcoat beat me to delivering the bitter reality. Your dealer probably just fired up techstream against it and pulled those specific indicators. A compound failure is rare. If I was to believe the dealer's diagnosis, personally, I would dig further into the servo system looking for an intermittent open. Closed-loop servo systems can be notoriously difficult to troubleshoot but one might get lucky finding an intermittent loose connector.

Your choice is to either have the dealer do the work, or snag a copy of techstream and try swapping/calibrating a known good drive unit. This is one of those "if you have to ask..." situations.

edit: I don't think it's the motor. That's usually a hard failure.