Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyD View Post
Hey guys,

I ordered the kit and it should be here in about 2 weeks. I have been making of list of small tools and such i've seen on the install posts. Is there any specific things that helped you all with the install? Also all I bought was the turbo kit/ tune, will that be enough for now? I plan on getting a catch can and oil cooler eventually, but just wanted to make sure I can survive a little while without it.
You'll also want to purchase the pre-welded oil pan, and some Permatex Ultra Black sealant for when you put the new pan on.

Be sure to install the wastegate to the manifold before securing the manifold to the engine.

If they aren't already included, get some hose clamps and secure them on both ends of the turbo oil drain hose over where it meets the push-lock fittings.

How long is a little while for running without a catch can and oil cooler? I would say that a catch can is critical on a turbo engine as you'll get blowby and crankcase pressure as soon as you start boosting it. Without a catch can, that blowby will recirculate directly back into your intake manifold and reduce your octane and performance. Also the stock rear pcv valve is not designed for boost. I recommend the Verus Engineering can, but if you're on a budget, the Mishimoto 3-port can is decent (just order it separately with the BRZ/FRS mounting bracket). Make sure you read my post in the owner's group on how to properly set up your catch can.

Since you are in California, an engine oil cooler is also a must-have for hard driving, especially in summer months. Your turbo is going to heat up the oil as it's fed through it and you may see temperatures approach dangerous levels after a few back to back pulls without an oil cooler. If you want to wait, just make sure you run 5w30 oil and change it more frequently until you get a cooler, and monitor your oil temps, making sure they don't go above 230-240F.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
Conman (12-24-2018)