View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
Manji
Toyotas don't have boxers

Drives: GTV86, ISF, TE27
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Couple of things that stand out here already.

Comment I saw about not wanting to spend money on a motec, because it will double the cost of the swap. All I'll say here is that you are biting of more than you can chew if you think the rest of the swap will be done for $6.5k. You can itemise and forum mechanic it all you like, but if you want my advice, double that budget; at least.

Another thing I noticed, "I'm going to blow my fa20 up and then do this". This mentality has never made sense to me. Why not sell it while its worth money? I sold my fa20, gearbox, and turbo kit for $12k. Sure I realise this is because I'm in NZ and was the only person to have these parts for sale, and I had to wait a year for someone to blow their motor and need mine, but point is still valid.

Either way, not knocking what you are trying to do. 10 years ago in my 20's I was looking to DIY all the things with car projects. Now I'm a little older, a little wiser, and a lot busier with work to even entertain this type of thing. The effort in doing so is better spent at work, earning money, so I can pay others to do a better job than I could ever do.

It's one of those things, I paid for the motec (I also paid well less than $6.5k, though we get a much better deal on them here) because it was the only option that worked. I could've waited 5 years for guys like yourself to have sorted a way to do it (as you are trying to now) for next to nothing. But I accepted I paid early adopter tax.

FWIW, I approached Link (they are based here) about whether they wanted to write a gt86 canbus platform and use my car to do so (of course I was still going to pay, but I already have a Link in my racecar and was familiar with them). To my surprise they weren't even slightly interested and didn't believe there was enough of a market there. (Which in NZ is true, Christchurch has 400,000 people and I'm the only one do have done anything major like forced induction or motor swap) but they clearly have not realised the popularity of the car internationally.
Manji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manji For This Useful Post:
Aphaux (03-11-2020), Kris86 (09-08-2016), slicktop (07-03-2015), Sportsguy83 (07-29-2016)