Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
.. they certainly aren't anywhere near the level of quality that you find in Toyota and Lexus.
Agh yes, the mythical reliability of Toyota.....

I've owned two real Toyota cars in my life, my beloved 1985 Toyota MR2 and a Geo Prism (which was a Toyota Corolla in GM clothing). I don't consider the 86 a "Toyota" car based on part count.

I loved the MR2, but in it's 150,000 miles, I had to replace the timing belt 3 times (it always broke before the maintenance interval), the driver's side window register 3 times, the passenger side register once, the boots twice, the air conditioning compressor, the sunroof leaked on occasion and ultimately it began to burn oil around 110,000 miles forcing me to get rid of it. It also went from red to bright pink as an exterior color.

The Prism had to have clutch issues throughout it's life with us (we only kept it about 50,000 miles) and the passenger side window leaked no matter what we did to fix it.

On the other hand, I've had multiple "unreliable' GM products that have gone 200,000 or more without any major repairs beyond standard maintenance.

I guess it just goes to show that reliability is a local issue as @Tcoat has said.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote