View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Little side track, but @PST was very kind enough to listen to my request and making a kit to move the gas pedal bit closer to brake pedal. If you don't know, what I'm talking about, check here: Gas Pedal Kit. I can't wait to get a hands on one and test it out myself to see.

Reading their development journal is very interesting and educational as well. If you got time, worth reading (here)

Anyways, this isn't really a "journal", but more of "idea/thought" that some vendor/shop see and make it, just like PST did.

Some of you might notice (or some might not), but twin have issue of heating up, if you like to race. This have been on discussion from day one, specially for owner who put FI in their cars. Solution? Simple, install oil cooler. That'll drop enough to keep the temperature down to keep high comp, high revving boxer engine happy... which equals to happy driver. Jackson Racing, Mishimoto, Cusco, AVO, Perrin, Sard, PTUNING, HKS, GReddy and many other tuning shops who heard our cry and made oil cooler for our cars.

I, myself have looked into this as well. I do autox often and want to keep engine operating temperature is important. After several months of research, reading the reviews, testing & seeing the data from owners who owned them. I decided to go with water-to-oil cooler instead of air-to-oil cooler.

If you live in SoCal, AZ or TX prob air-to-oil is way to go. Air-to-oil is more efficient than water-to-oil, where I live in the winter time, temperature drop down to minus. Keeping the engine cool and keeping the engine in operating temperature is different, too cold/hot isn't a good thing. Water-to-oil will get the oil cool in the summer racing time, while it'll warm up the oil in the cold winter time quicker.

So my journey looking for Water-to-oil kit start. Most of water-to-oil kit now day have shiny pipes to make a "bling"... which for some owners, it's plus, but for me, I was aiming to make it OEM looks, so it was out of question.

I was looking around and saw this DIY and it looked nice! Kept OEM look, which is total plus. Don't need any bling showing off my car. Keep it "look" OEM, but different enough to make my "own" looks and performance to it.

Now, there's still an issue with this. Because this isn't technically direct bolt-on and need to do few light custom work. Example is FXT vs BRZ water pipe are different design, as you can see the pic above (longer FXT, shorter BRZ). If some shop can weld one extra pipe into one side of BRZ water pipe and have everything as a oil cooler package and sell it for say... $400~$500, isn't that a win-win for everyone?

What do you guys think? Or any shop interested? Cuz if really do come out, you have 1st buyer here