View Single Post
Old 04-25-2022, 02:48 PM   #32
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
First, no offense, but you've got to get over this idea of - what can I do the cheapest/easiest to "100% fix everything"? We are talking about qualitative improvements that by their nature can't be defined as a percentage.

For example, you saw what joeymysterio did in order to improve bass response. It did nothing to improve the sound out of the door speakers. Second, I think you think there is some magic 5 minute plug 'n play solution. There isn't and there will never be. Even if the Kicker sub option were available, I still think there would be wiring solutions that would need to be done. The closest you are going to get will be the OEM+ solution which, at minimum, will require you opening up the door panels, rear panels and front grills and using a few tools. And frankly, for the cost, I am not sure it will be worth it.

In any event, you need to understand that the current set-up drives and filters the primary speakers (door) differently from the rear/fronts. I'm not even sure I have this right or that it has been verified as being identical for the Gen2, but in Gen1, the front/rear are driven and filtered by the head unit (although I believe the front tweeters have their own crossovers) whereas the doors are driven/filtered by the lame amp in the trunk. All of this makes it very difficult to simply and cheaply upgrade.

As for your DSP/Amp combination, I don't think the hardware you are talking about exists and, even if it did, wouldn't work anyway (without a complete rewire) as it would need more power than the existing AMP and would need to have unfiltered inputs from the head unit (which it has) but would then need to be wired up to the front and rear speakers directly (easy for the rears, and potentially doable for the fronts).

In any event, the link I provided simply uses an almost plug and play amp to improve the volume and clarity of the sound out of the door speakers.
No offense taken. I am new to adding amps, so there is a learning curve for me. I have changed out head units and speakers, but never messed with amps.
I understand I cannot fix it to 100% without throwing a lot of money at it. I initially proposed to soundman98 that I wanted it 80% better. I realize if I wanted to go the last 20%, it would cost at least double that of the 80% better.
I do understand there is not a quick fix, but I am willing to put the time into myself. As with anything, I want to get the most for my time and money. I also realize when you get to higher-end equipment you pay a premium with sometimes very little gains. This is true with any high-end name brands stuff where you are paying for the name just as much as any cutting-edge technology.
I think DSP is an amp that uses “digital signal processing”. Again this is new to me so I might be wrong.
What scares me about your link is that they warn of driving more power to the 2-ohm stock speakers could cause it to sound worse. soundman98 solution replaces the 2-ohm speakers with 4-ohm speakers. Since I do have to run new wires everywhere, I want to put a little more money into it to make sure it is fixed well enough ( to 80%), but thanks for the suggestion. The more info I get the better decision I can make.
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote