Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #905
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
You have a point about complexity, but I meant access to instruction, in particular. There are YT vids out there on how to fix just about anything..or field strip a 100 year old pocket pistol. Yes, some discernment helps to filter out the crap, but it's generally a very good thing for me. My 1st car was a hand me down 1969 Olds Cutless S, with a 350 "Rocket" V8. If my neighbors' boyfriend hadn't volunteered to teach me some things, car ownership would have been harder. I couldn't afford a mechanic, so if I couldn't fix it, I was hosed. He could rebulid a carb with his eyes shut, in 5 minutes...me, not so much.
The requirement for instruction is directly proportional to the complexity though.
There was a day when you could do a complete engine or even transmission rebuild using nothing but a single book. There was no need for detailed videos or hundreds of different sets of instructions.
The Haynes manuals cost about $8 or there were books available from the library.
That is if some jerk didn't check it out, not return it and then find it in his basement 45 years later.
Attached Images

Dadhawk (05-19-2020), Opie (05-19-2020)