Old 06-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #96
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
For someone in my situation, is the extra 600 or the extra 1600 really worth it?

I get it, for people who want every last ounce, ecutek is the way to go. But for someone like me, who wants an extra bump, while minding my wallet, what's so bad about an OTS tune?
weren't you complaining that your OTS tune netted you almost no gains? and seemed shocked when I told you its because of the rom you installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
That's the thing- it's freaking N/A. If one could get their car to be 90% of another's for half the cost, that's winning to me- because that last 10% on a sub 200whp platform is nothing,
but you aren't getting to 90%, you are sometimes not even getting better results than the stock tune can deliver. have you put your car on the dyno to compare results? i think you should take the time and throw down the 30/40$ to have a couple pulls and see what you're actually getting for your hard earned money.

Quote:

I understand your reservation about not using E85 without flexfuel but really.. come on.. that's borderline scaremongering.
really, didn't realize i was coming off like fox news here and i never intended to. i just said i wouldn't run e85 without a flex fuel kit. and i certainly would NEVER run a ots tune to run e85 without a flex fuel kit. but that's me, i don't feel safe doing so.

but the main reason why i haven't even looked at getting flex fuel tune/kit is because

Quote:
The E85 stations are so few and far between
bingo

Quote:
I love tinkering around with tunes, and have been since day one of my first enthusiast car.

- Do I trust myself with my car?
- Can people become affluent in basic principles and paradigms of software tuning?
- Is this worth it to me?
I'm glad you feel comfortable tinkering with the tune on your engine. and i have certainly taught myself how to do maf calibrations, i understand what goes into the various fueling and cam profile tables. however I don't have six grand laying around to replace my engine so i'm going to leave it in the hands of the pro that I trust to use the experience of over 130 different 86 that he's tuned (plus the experience he's gathered from being in the business a ridiculously long time) to make sure i'm not forking over major cash to replace a paperweight.

Quote:
I also get a free datalogging and flash tablet (simply don't get that with Ecutek full stop). This is supplementary to the DIY approach- data is king and the ability to observe and extract data in a relatively efficient fashion is worth the salt of the tablet alone (albeit they're not the most, erm, sturdy ).
not sure why you keep bringing this up, you can data log with ecutek, how else is the tuner going to be able to see how the tune is holding up, how else are e-tunes being performed using ecutek.
Koa (06-24-2015)