Old 04-15-2021, 10:07 AM   #42
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Just because it doesn't skip doesn't mean it's accurate. Increases in velocity are not necessarily linear. If you go from 0 to 60MPH in 3 seconds that does not necessarily mean you pass through every xMPH in between 0 and 60MPH.

However, if at the same time you are using an analog gauge, it will appear to go through each phase out of necessity, thus providing the smoothness that you see simulated here in the Ford gauge, as it is very unlikely it is an more accurate than the other displays. As was already said, its just programming.

There is a polling interval. Depending on the increase in speed the vehicle will have gone from Speed A to Speed B during that time. You can either show the increase in speed by showing the actual number (say 0 then 10) or you can choose to show every number in between (0,1,2,3...,10).

In the first example, you are showing the actual speed at the time it is sampled, minus processing time and display time, so you are slightly past it.

In the second example, you still have the processing time but now you need to eat up cycles covering all the number between 0 and 10, so that by the time you show the 10, you have already accelerated past it, and the display is lagging.

Now mind you we may be talking microseconds differences here, but there is a difference and programming choice has to be made.
Yeah I feel like sometimes my car accelerates slower going uphill versus downhill.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (04-15-2021)