Old 04-14-2021, 09:52 PM   #29
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,291 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
The problem with watching a video of a digital readout is you get flicker. Just like how modern car's headlights appear to flash or strobe on video, you're dealing with two different flickers not syncing up which contributes to the appearance of gaps or slow rates.
You're confusing the hardware flicker (whether due to backlight lamp, PWM of the LED backlight or PWM of the individual pixels if the display is OLED) with screen refresh.
You can still have as much flicker at 2 Hz data refresh rate as at a 60 Hz data refresh rate (assuming a 60 Hz screen).
You see flicker on the graphics of the gauges themselves, and yet they are static

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
I really don't think this is something you'll be able to see under any normal kind of operation unless you are literally staring at it while driving down the road (which is not a good idea).
That's arguable.
I definitely manage to glance at the speedometer even when driving on a track at decent pace; the problem is that I can't fully trust the number I see there.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure there's no real reason why they don't just bump the refresh rate to at least 10 Hz.
There might be some minor reasons (watch the reading jump +-1 mph on a straight between T6 and T7 in my video), but those are very much fixable.
It's just apparently not a priority for them.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote