Old 10-08-2022, 01:59 AM   #568
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
it does for me, as i wanted to know if this was a scenario specific to the french with their environment, or their rules/regulations. i wanted to know if the failure was highly likely to every nuclear power plant in existence. the french aren't the only one's in that type of climate, so a corrosion issue that applies to them could very well apply to countless other nuclear power plants across the globe, which would have a dramatic effect both in direct power costs for much larger global stage, as well as the obvious environmental effects.

the answer seems to be more of the fact that the french modified an existing design to suit their design goals, and through an unknown error/design goal, are now paying a significant cost for that in extreme downtime.

what i find interesting is that they appear to be only looking to fix/repair the damage, and not re-pipe the system in a way that would address the thermal problem, meaning that all these problems are going to surface again in a number of years, and we'll be having this conversation all over again.
Of course it doesn't have anything to do with their environment. Nuclear power plants are all over the world and made in all types of ways and are subject to different climates different times of the year. This corrosion could happen in any environment. The cracks led to leaks which lead to corrosion.

A full scale rebuild would probably take years, and I have no idea if it is worth it in downtime and worth it if the plants are going to be decommissioned soon anyways.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-t...-power-plants/
Attached Images