View Single Post
Old 10-20-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
dasting

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I'm the guy who went off at Watkins Glen due to VCS/ABS going nuts and locking left front then both fronts I did get a warning in the form of the VSC warning light and ABS light, but dayum... This was most definitely a confused microprocessor actuating the bejeezus out of the fronts, particularly left front, calipers, even with "modest" (~80% of "normal") effort at the pedal.

Running with the 40A ABS fuse pulled is working fine for me with CSG Spec C2 front pads and WinMax W5 rears, both cold (initial lap(s)) and hot (8-10+ laps). I always get front lockup first, easy to modulate. These pads *should* be in the same range as far as coefficient of friction, probably a bit front-biased @CSG Mike might have good info on that...

Anyway, I would have zero qualms about running the same pads front and rear with the ABS fuse pulled, that would be my preference in fact but tryna use up these W5 rears! It seems to me that the built-in mechanical front/rear bias is appropriately front-biased, but not TOO front-biased. The rears seem to be contributing their fair share, as opposed to when the ABS/VSC were locking the fronts HARD at relatively modest brake pedal application, with the rears doing little/nothing...
Yep, been following your threads and what prompted the question. Appreciate all the info, and good to hear your use on track without ABS is going so well with similar friction pads f/r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Old logic of lots of pad in the front and shitty pads in the rear is awful. I dont know where this originates from, but please stop. Trailing the brakes with that kind of bias is just not possible.

If you are already used to braking without ABS on the track, you will hate the braking experience with the ABS on this car. Way too intrusive for no reason, and random troubles for some people as you have already read.

If you pull the ABS fuse (or put it off with the trac-box), you bias will be even more towards the front. Your rear brakes wont do shit, and thats with square pads, imagine if you had higher friction pads on the front than rear.

If you dont plan on ever using ABS on the car and you dont mind not having any TC or SC, I would suggest you remove the ABS unit altogether and add a proportioning valve to the rear line to adjust your bias to your liking. Run square pads and adjust with the valve, dont adjust with the pads.
This is the info I was looking for, thank you. I just couldn't find info on what the biasing was like when the ABS wasn't doing anything. Yes, TC/SC are always off in my car, and don't feel like dealing with ABS issues, so I will be shutting off ABS for now on track and leave the pads square. Eventually I will move to a proportioning valve but the car still gets too much street use to worry about it yet.

Any other info is appreciated, but looks like I am staying square.