soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
I read your entire post, realizing I omitted a detail - I have a powered 8" sub running off one of the RCA outputs of the DDX918WS. Also my mods in the future will be to enhance the stock setup as best as I can, with speaker drop ins.

I do get what you're saying now. I'm just confused on which 'mode' I should be sticking to because neither of them seems to fit into our car's profile. The 2 way mode assumes there is a midrange and tweeter connected to the HU fronts whereas the rears can be anything depending on the configuration - but that it will turned off / faded out as I have no want for the rears anyway. Also in 2 way - there is no bandpass filter configurable.

In 3 way, all the outputs are 'funneled' thru three filters - low, bandpass and high in the HU so I can configure them 'individually' using the filters. I'm aware the stock speakers / amp already do some sort of filtering but I can at least influence the frequency within the filtered ranges, and also change the slope and gain.

At the moment now, '3 way' seems to be the better option but thoughts on this?
if all the speakers were individually connected to the head unit, you'd be right. but they're not, which is why currently, '2-way' is the better setting.

the dash tweeter and mid each have their own passive crossovers, and the door speaker amplifier has it's own filter for the signals it needs.

considering that you do have a subwoofer, the original intent of the door speakers is somewhat useless, so it would be a good idea for a long-term goal to rewire the door speakers to the rear output of the radio-- that would allow you to use the 3-way mode the way it's designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
Also on those Dayton PS95-8 speakers - those speakers looks like they're meant to be used indoors, unlike a car's interior where you would have a wide range of temperatures, and the sun beating down on them - will they hold up in those sort of environments?
they hold up just fine. the majority of speakers installed in most cars use a paper cone with a foam surround. these have a rubber surround, so they tend to last even longer than typical car speakers.