View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #198
TRS

Drives: 2013' Toyota 86 (EU spec)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Oil cooler is running over the skunk2. It has an integrated oil cooler like the Jackson.

My CX headers have an 5mm integral insulation. They are arround 250°C surface temp under high load. Dont think I can Improve much here. Trans Tunnel is also insulated.

An issue are for sure the converters. They are sitting more or less over and slightly behind the crossmember. But I have to run them and and this is the only possible Position.

Im pretty sure that the mishimoto Fans I use are crappy. At least they are 10 bucks rebranded China units. Unfortunately the skunk2 is that big, that the OEM ones or Spal units dont fit in.

With my swap the Front section of the hood is blocked for vents. The rear section doesnt make sense since it is a aerodynamic high pressure area. The vents you use are no Option since they hurt the crash structure of the hood what is a no go for Germany. So I will go with functional vents at the fender trims, where also a slightly aerodynamic low pressure zone is located.

I am thinking about the Jackson rad. It is thinner than the skunk2 but has more rows. Im not sure if the massive size of the skunk2 might even be part of the issue. I expect high pressure drop for airflow by the fans because of the Stack thickness. Also the space for Fans is very limited due to that thickness.

I was thinking about a conventional oil cooler, but Im unsure if just relocate the issue with that from water temps to oil temps. At least the oil temps are in a very acceptable range.

Temps are fine (between 90 and 95°C) as long as Im over arround 35mph and Ambiente is below 25°C. Higher Ambient means water is over 90, arround 100 at moderate load. High load and 70mph+ at up to 40°C Ambient means arround 105 to 110°C. Very problematic is slow speed at high load like uphill racing on tight roads or drifting. Since I assume a Slalom should cause similar situations. So how are the temps reacting on a Slalom stint and what is your impression for a hipothetical lets say 60min run at such a Track Layout? Would your cooling system be able to handle this load?
TRS is offline   Reply With Quote