Old 04-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #127
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
I don't know how a GM ECU came up, I'm planning on a K swap. That said:

If a 96+ swapped car is going to pass emissions in most states outside of California then it has to have a visible cat(s) underneath the car and it has to register "ready" on the OBD2 scanner test. I figure there are two ~legitimatish~ ways to make that happen. I'm not particularly interested in disregarding the spirit of the law.

Either: The OBD2 testing computer talks to a Honda ECU
1) Rewire the car with the new ECU, basically you'd be swapping the entire ecu/fuel/emissions related wiring harnesses from *x honda K* car into the BRZ. Once you've done that and got it working you'd have to reprogram the ECU to reflect the BRZ VIN. I'm not 100% certain how possible it is to reprogram a VIN to another manufacturer/model.

Or: The OBD2 Testing computer talks to the BRZ ECU
2) Successfully translate the OBD2 relevant information from the Honda (or other) ecu onto the CANBUS so that the BRZ ECU will ingest it and achieve a ready state. In short, as far the BRZ ecu and OBD2 test would ever know the car is a stock BRZ.

If I knew for certain that I could reprogram the VIN on a Honda ECU to reflect my BRZ chassis VIN I wouldn't even waste time trying to figure out option #2.
ohh wait! derp! i was thinking that you wanted to to a ls swap for some reason. my short term memory isn't as good lol.

Well from my understanding you dont need to program the vin from the Body onto the ECU. You do however need to program the vin from the engine block onto the ecu. And yeah most cars wont let you program the vin prefix from a different manufacturer.

And #2 would be at best a gray line of legality TBH..