View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #22518
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
How does the pipe fasten to the tow hook holes? Is it a friction fit, adapted to a threaded stud, or machined threads on the pipe?
It starts with a M16x1.5 bolt (the rarest thread pattern in the world) 7 inches long and a nut. Cut off the head of the bolt and bevel the end slightly. Thread on the nut. Put it in the freezer. Get a 6" piece of 1/2" EMT (metal electrical conduit). Deburr the ends. Put it in a vice and heat it up. Take the bolt out of the freezer and pound it into the conduit. Once it cools it's a press fit but I welded it just to make sure. Now get a 1' piece of 3/4" schedule 80 steel pipe threaded on each end. Cut it in half. It will slide perfectly over the bolt/conduit piece. My first idea was to thread the bolt/conduit into the tow hook hole and slide the 3/4" pipe over it and pin it. But it wasn't sturdy enough, so I welded it to the bolt/conduit. So essentially you have a solid steel rod 1" thick with a 3/4" tapered pipe thread on one end and a M16x1.5 thread on the other. Oh, by the way I had to open up the hole through the rear of the car about .001 (unibit) so the pipe fits tightly into the hole. Then I screwed on the angles and pipe pieces. When I got the angles just right, I loctited the angles to the Schedule 80 pipe with red loctite. So that angle is fixed. The rest is pretty much self explainatary.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
EndlessAzure (10-29-2020)