Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Your description makes it sound like your friend's AP2 has the following:

- much larger tire stagger than AP1
- worn out dampers

- top down has a HUGE effect on drag
- A stock AP2 is about neck and neck with a Ace header + E85, assuming both cars are shifted similarly. The S2k isn't that fast, and weighs more.
Great point about his dampers. His car has 135k+ miles so I wouldn't be surprised if his dampers are worn by now. I think a new set would help with that floatiness over midcorner bumps.

Regarding power, I actually talked to him again about the pull we did. He said my FR-S pulled .75 - 1 car length on him right after his 1-2 shift, making him think it was the clutch delay valve. After that, he said we were even until 80. I had a feeling it would be close based on AP1's I've encountered at the track, but I thought the AP2's made a bit more jam. We're planning some more canyon runs in the future so we'll have a chance to re-test after he deletes the CDV.

I actually think driving my FR-S caught him off-guard. The next few days, he kept saying he couldn't believe how well my FR-S was setup and that he was so impressed by it.

Thinking back, I have to say that in its current state (mild weight reduction, e85, coilovers, BBK, tires) I also preferred driving my FR-S over his stock AP2 in the canyons. Overall acceleration was similar but the FA20 torque spread on e85 was wider (4500-7500 vs. 6000-8200), the T2 coilovers handled imperfect roads better, and the Wilwood BBK was of course better. The driving position and forward visibility also seemed better on the FR-S. I think the only things I preferred on the AP2 were the shifter and the engine sound.

BTW for the AP2 owners out there, this isn't a knock on the that car in anyway. I think it's amazing what Honda packaged into a stock car 20 years ago. But the hype never matched reality, at least for me. That said, my opinion will probably change whenever I get the chance to drive one at the track (and especially with similar mods). I get the feeling you can't truly appreciate an S2000 until you're in a setting where you can safely explore the limits of its chassis.

Lastly - someone asked about comparative steering feel. My friend actually did comment he thought the steering feedback was better in the FR-S. While I agree (and that feedback helps build confidence when approaching the limit), I think it's such a minor drawback on the S2000 as to be barely worth mentioning. Just my 2c, others may feel differently.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build

Last edited by DarkSunrise; 05-07-2020 at 02:54 AM.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (05-07-2020)