View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #20
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. well for a new car, dealerships here love to find any excuse to void a drivetrain warranty. miss an oil change interval and whoops, sorry no more coverage.

2. How many miles do you drive a year? what are the driving conditions? how long do you keep a car?
Between my wife and I, we have three daily drivers- I have a car, she has the minivan, and we share the truck when needed to move big stuff or haul trailers. between the three vehicles, we put approx 40,000 miles (yeah 64,000km) a year on them. It's also >100F (38C) outside right now and extremely humid, so fluids go through tremendous heat cycling and have to deal with moisture contamination. Per manufacturer recommended service intervals, everything we own falls under the 'severe duty usage' column, which means oil changes every 6,000-10,000 miles.

The truck is a large 3/4 ton diesel and holds 14qts of oil. that sucker only gets done every 20k miles or so, so once a year. Because it hauls trailers and heavy loads most of the time, I also drain/fill the trans and diff during the annual service.. the smaller stuff all get more frequent oil changes but less frequent drivetrain service due to the lighter use case.

We also keep cars for >200,000 miles and the price of a little extra oil is cheap insurance vs. having to replace a drivetrain or entire vehicle.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt93SE For This Useful Post:
JD001 (06-08-2022)