View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
DIY

Drives: BRZ, WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Joel's BRZ - Mid Budget Time Attack Build

Hi Guys,

Just picked this up recently after many months of searching for a salvage car at auctions to build into a track car.

As far as I know it is straight off the production line at Subaru in Japan, never been built into a full car and was used to set up the robots for painting on the production line. That's all I know really, its a full shell including all panels but that's all, no motor, suspension etc. I've already stripped the panels off and put them in storage for now.

I have been wanting to get back into time attack style racing for a while but I didn't really want to change my current track car which is a wrx back to tarmac spec again as I really enjoy my gravel racing. I thought about building a GC8 wrx shell as a cheap way of starting a new project but when I started looking into aero design the BRZ just seemed like the perfect platform to start with.

I've been modifying cars for almost 20 years now but this is by far my most ambitious project.
It will be a long term project as my budget is limited, however, I do plan on doing most of the work myself to offset the low budget. I have invested in a bit of fabrication gear including a multi-function MIG welder that can also do DC TIG and aluminium MIG via a spool gun. A hydraulic tube bender with 1.75" and 1.5" dies, metal cutoff saw and drill press.

The plan is basically to try and go as fast as possible with as little money spent as possible.

Some rough plans at this stage.

Engine:
Want to run an unopened engine at first, probably a built one in the future.
Will start with a Jap Spec STi 2.0L EJ207, however, factory turbo location is not suitable.
Factory reflashed ECU with stripped back loom.

Turbo:
???
Looking into the possibility of factory fitted front mount MY10+ GT Liberty turbo complete setup? might not be possible so I would need to fabricate a complete front mounted turbo setup.

Gearbox:
Toyota 5MT, either W-series or R154 (off the shelf bellhousing available to suit EJ20)

Rear Diff:
Stock BRZ
R200

Wheels & Tyres:
Going straight to 295 width
probably Enkei RPF1 18x10.5

Body kit:
Hoping to do this myself with a little help from friends who have played with fibreglass and carbon, another big learning curve but can't afford an off the shelf kit and I don't like the look of those bolt on kits anyway. The body kit will need to be custom to accommodate the 295 tyres with lower ride height and aero.

Other stuff:
Full roll cage integrated into suspension pickup points. Trying to lower COG as much as possible and move things toward the center of the car, having an empty shell as a starting point helps you consider everything you add to the car and where you locate it.

This is a discussion thread as much as a build thread so let the discussion begin. I'm happy to hear as much input as possible from you guys on how to make this car go fast with a limited budget and if you think there is a better way of doing things.

Joel.

Last edited by DIY; 10-07-2021 at 05:57 AM. Reason: better title.
DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to DIY For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (03-01-2021), Busybee (09-02-2018), ElijahF (11-24-2019), Marcoscrdo (03-15-2019), MemphisR (12-16-2016), mixtape (05-14-2017), Overdrive (05-18-2021), Psilox (05-14-2017), sato (07-07-2021), Sisko's_Baseball (12-22-2019), swarb (05-12-2017), TheBoss77 (05-30-2022), theneptune86 (01-04-2021), Trust86 (06-01-2017), Turbowned (10-07-2018), Veloist (07-10-2017)