View Single Post
Old 08-12-2021, 07:14 AM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,096 Times in 2,046 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for your responses everyone. Just to be clear, I'm just looking to compile possible causes, I know there's no way to tell if the chicken came before the egg here. It's just something I hadn't seen mentioned here before so I thought a thread about it would be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Perhaps over-torque of the crankshaft pulley screw started the crack and it grew until catastrophic failure. What are those marks on the end of the crank?

This is what the tech at VEMS was thinking-that someone pounded the crank pulley on. What's funny is what when I removed the crank pulley after all this, it came off without even using a breaker bar, but that's likely because of the trauma. I'll be able to head there on Monday, I plan to get better photos from further away.
I am thinking that a rocker came off, upset the whole thing and caused a lot of damage in the 15 seconds it took me to get back to my driveway. This used engine they gave me had a strange noise I had believed to be the timing chain between 1600 and 2100 rpm, I would hear it on decel and on accel every time I passed through that RPM range with load on the car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (08-12-2021), Ultramaroon (08-12-2021)