View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #24
Pete

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
There have been numerous blind tests where people with all kinds of background have been unable to tell the difference between CD/lossless and 320 kbps MP3 using all kinds of equipment, or even said that the MP3 sounds better. There are many explanations to that, but I don't want to go too far off topic.
Not everyone can tell the difference or cares. Some people can and do.

Quote:
If you already have a CD, you can make your own FLAC files very easily.
That is true for 1 CD, but 'very easily' is definitely subjective. How many CD's are we talking about here? A 300 CD collection would take quite an investment of time to rip to .FLAC. Popping in a different disc takes seconds.

Quote:
... because they haven't figured out how to "invest" a little bit of inconvenience once (put whatever music they want on a USB stick in whatever format they prefer), and instead deal with regular inconvenience on a daily basis (swapping CDs, or listening to the same 10 songs over and over), while coming up with hundreds of excuses why this is the right thing to do, and blame modern car manufacturers that they stop making CD players?
Why would you care if someone else doesn't mind swapping a CD in return for better sound quality?

Quote:
Oh, FLAC and Bluetooth...
If you care about audio quality, just don't use Bluetooth, period.
Another reason to use a USB stick if you really want to get the best results.
Yeah that's kind of the point I was making, even over a Bluetooth connection, I can still hear the difference between .FLACs and normal Spotify streaming clearly. The source quality matters. Over a wired connection the quality gap only gets bigger.

To be clear what I would prefer is not a return to CD players (I don't own any CDs anymore), what I want is for the MP3 format to die a fiery death. It's almost 2022 and it is inexcusable that lossless formats are not the standard for any kind of purchased or streamed music.

If my phone can stream HD video without a problem why is the music so muddy?