Old 01-28-2021, 10:22 PM   #11
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
Sounds to me that I drive a bit more conservative than you do, so I expect my transmission to hold up with E-85 and the 85 mm pulley. I purchased my ‘15 with about 45,000 miles over a year ago with no mechanical or electrical issues to speak of. I’ve driven it maybe 2000 miles so far. I’m not tracking it and I don’t beat the hell out of it. And I never lug it.

My only concern is that I engine brake whenever I drive. I do it naturally without thinking about it because that’s just how I was taught when I first learned at 16. I’ll go up through all the gears and back down through most of them which pretty much doubles the wear and tear on the clutch components. And whenever I pull the car into the garage after even normal, non-spirited driving, I’m getting that foul burning clutch smell. It’s not making any noise or slipping yet, but I can tell that as soon as the Harrop goes on, in just a few miles, I’m gonna have to drop tranny and replace those components.

So you’re still rocking the stock internals? I also thought about upgrading to stronger rods while leaving the stock pistons like OP is planning, but seeing how I’m running flex fuel or 93 AND that I’m having Zach at CSG remote tune my Harrop/flex tune, I’ll probably leave the internals stock as well. I think this set up along with my driving style should be fine on the stock internals and transmission.
I engine brake all the time. It is a habit from motorcycles, so I understand what you mean. 99% of the time, I row down through the gears as I brake.

You really never know. Some would rather build before blowing a hole in the motor and needing to build and replace the motor, but either way, you pay for insurance or gamble and possibly pay more later. I'm gambling. I feel like getting a built motor is also a gamble. I tend to trust factory assembled engines more than ones from a shop or myself, so even if I was to build the motor, I would be gambling. Plus, it would just be an excuse to get the 65mm pulley. Maybe a swap will happen in the future if it goes.
FR-S2GT86 (01-29-2021)