View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 06:12 AM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clear Coat Scratches removed by hand?

Hi,

Over the months I've owned my car, I've noticed it scratches fairly easily. There was a long thin scratch that went the length of my entire car door that bugged me until today where I decided to pick at it with my fingernail- and to my surprise the 'scratch' was coming off.

Now it looked like a scratch, had been on my car for weeks in several weather conditions. Had been through multiple washes and passes of microfibre towels/ pressure washers, yet scratching at it with my fingernail removed it completely.

So what is this? was the residue I was scratching off a very, very minor part of the clearcoat? After this revelation I went to other 'scratches' I had on my car and same thing, I scratched them off with my nail.

That mark (more noticeable looking at it in person as opposed to an image) has been on the car for MONTHS. It has never faded and i've probably washed it 20+ times. I could feel it when I did the ‘fingernail test’ I distinctly remember noticing it one day and spraying it with detail spray to try buff it off. It didn't seem to fade or look like it could come off so I thought it was a scratch I was going to have to live with. 10 minutes ago, same as the door I just scratched it with my nail and now it's almost completely gone

What is this? Why is my fingernail better at removing defects than forceful microfibre buffing?

Last edited by Sam86; 12-01-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote