Old 08-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #7
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QHawk View Post
I'm happy to see someone else declare this opinion. Like my FR-S before it, my 86 looks so well designed from any angle that seeing that silly affectation stuck on the trunk is just irritating. I've thought some about pulling it off and about how to reliably plug the holes. Doing that certainly should be possible.

We may be in the minority on this one (maybe it's a Massachusetts thing, or in my case simply because I'm old and prefer 'classic' unadorned styling, especially when the car is beautiful on its own).

After scouring the internet and seeing a lot of pics of people attempting this on other cars, with various plugs, small discs of vinyl tape, etc., I think it's a hopeless cause. Every pic I saw looked 'ghetto.' From 10 feet away they looked fine. Great even, to finally be rid of the useless appendage on the back. But close enough to see how it was done, not so much. It's doable, small discs of colored vinyl tape seem to be the least obtrusive. But none of the options look good.

I thought about trying to find someone with a spoiler-less trunk lid and swapping (like I did with a Miata years ago). But it seems most BRZs/GT86s came with some kind of rear spoiler in recent years. I'd have to reach back to an older car, don't know if the paint codes were the same, and even if they were, it would likely have faded to a noticeably different shade than my 6k mile garage-kept car.

Oh well, I guess I have to live with it. At least I can't see it in the rear view mirror when I'm driving (that would cross the line). I only have to see it when I walk up to the car to get in or when I get out.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote