View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #47
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm not real fond of boxer motors from past experience... when it was announced that the 86 would be using a Subaru boxer motor my first reaction was: "Why?" I understand the technical reasons for going with a Boxer motor... but even so, give me an I4 every time over a flat 4. It's not like Toyota doesn't know how to make nice I4 motors perfect for sportscar use.... Was really hoping for a motor somewhat following 4AGE lineage, a nice rev happy one in the 2L range.

That said, I bought the car in spite of the motor that was put in it because even with that Subaru motor in it, I still wanted it - the only car in two decades that I have wanted enough to buy new. The FR-S has been the best Subaru I've ever owned along with being the worst Toyota I've ever owned at the same time... The FA20 is 'okay' as a motor mechanically other than the low oil pressure with high engine bay temperatures (I've noticed little issues start appearing once the oil temp gets over a constant 220F - really want to get an oil pressure gauge for this car.) It has a nice, smooth power delivery characteristic that I do like with a broad torque range that works well for daily driving. From 5K through redline the motor is really at home, just not as rev happy a motor as a Honda.

The little quirks bug me though; the check engine light coming for ignition coil issue (stock motor no tunes or tinkering with it) and little hiccups it has not wanting to start sometimes - it's definitely not a Toyota or Honda level drivetrain in actual execution. I would definitely feel more at ease with an actual Toyota motor in it... My 2RZ powered Tacoma was bulletproof and I beat on it and redlined it daily for 170k miles...autocrossed it, tracked it, offroaded it, and cruised cross-country with it.

And then there was the B18A in my '90 Integra RS....sweetest non-vtec I4 Honda motor that can take abuse and has a very nice rev-happy characteristic about it. With 8lb racing flywheel that motor LOOOVED to rev and increased/decreased RPMs extremely quick. It was a solid motor that you could use the full RPM range all day long, for 200k miles...and sounded very good as well.

The FA20 just can't take the same abuse...it throws a fit and starts balking, you have to baby it to keep it happy. Babying a motor to keep it from throwing fits doesn't sit well with me...I don't care about power levels as much as a robust motor you can beat on daily and gives zero complaints back - the FA20 is not such a motor from my experience. Or maybe it's just the early one's issue?

Not sure what I want to do in the future, but I absolutely know I want to keep the car. Just unsure of what to swap out the motor for when the FA20 finally lets go from not being up to the task...
frsvr4 (07-05-2015)