View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #197
spikyone

Drives: Grey GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
This is known already and in fact there are conversion kits that can modify a WRX from an AWD to a RWD car. His point was that you cannot have a proper sports car like this. You can do it, but it will be a compromise just to reduce costs. I uploaded a couple of pictures 2-3 pages before that show that the BRZ was really about differentiation and specialization comparing to the Impreza. How can you achieve all this with a global platform? Other car makers have gone into this direction, but with the drawbacks mentioned above. Since you are from UK, check what happened to the first generation Mercedes A-class cars when they had to transition to the MB W176 platform. They really ruined a breakthrough car and nowadays I cannot find any difference of the new A-class comparing to a VW Golf or an Audi A3.
Right. So one car that you think was ruined (and given that it followed the universally disliked W169 and the rollover-prone W168, I'm not the only one that would strongly disagree) is an example of why platforms are bad? All the cars based on W176 are the same size as an A Class. If anything, it's one of the least likely cars to be compromised by its platform.
What are your thoughts on the Audi TT RS, which is a direct Cayman S competitor? Based on the same platform as this tedious POS:

Care to explain where the TT RS is compromised by being based on the same platform as that thing Not as good as the Cayman S maybe, but then neither is anything else for £50k.

Ultimately you're still not getting what "platform" means in 2018. Look back at the pictures of the Passat and TT chassis, and see how little is common to those cars, which share the same platform. A tiny section between the A-pillar and the front axle. Do you genuinely believe that sharing that little with an Impreza is going to compromise the BRZ's dynamics? Especially given that the platform will already be based around a horizontally opposed longitudinal engine?
spikyone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spikyone For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-25-2018)