View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #118
ATL BRZ
TEQSPORT Brand Manager
 
ATL BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: '24 GR86 + '16 FR-S
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,666
Thanks: 3,725
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gords_zenith View Post
Hmm. Just because you haven't heard of it yet in this car, doesn't make it not plausible. Tons of cars have oil starvation issues if the g-forces get higher than what was anticipated. But I still could be wrong about starvation being a problem unless someone datalogs the oil pressure while tracking to rule it out. IIRC the Z06 which is a dedicated track/street car has a dry sump system to prevent starvation. The only thing that I'm not obviously not 100% sure of is the piston hitting the DI due to stretch from the bearings grenading, but I guess if that was happening than there would be other evidence such as smashed spark plugs and maybe valve damage. Hope this gets figured out sooner rather than later though.
Someone did monitor oil pressure while tracking, I think @Dave-ROR did and I know he's not the only one monitoring oil pressure on track.

I'm not going to argue with you but the wild speculation is getting old already.

The issue is the direct injector seals failing due to detonation between up shifts because the transient ignition retard tables are not optimized (flawed) in the factory ecu tune. 91 octane gas and lots of heat in the block on track increases the risk of said detonation. The seals fail, cylinders run dangerously lean and boom.

I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated before people stop speculating otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Direct starvation is unlikely. However, there could be more blowby getting into intake, leading to oil consumption and detonation. It's more of an issue on tracked STIs, but with grippy tires I guess it could consume enough oil during the session to cause starvation.

A lot of STI folks that track their cars install air-oil separators for this reason.
The front crankcase vent that recirculates into the intake gets hardly any blowby while n/a. The rear PCV does, however. I run my closed loop catch can from the rear PCV and it accumulates a little bit of oil every few thousand miles.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 05-30-2013 at 07:19 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote