Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,996 Times in 11,400 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
My buddy bought a SS 1LE a few weeks ago and brought it over. Took me out for a ride in it and I was very shocked.

First time I had ever been in a (new body) Camaro and I was very impressed. I hate GM with a passion and it pains me to say this but, I think the Camaro has the Mustang beat hands down.

For such a large and heavy car I did not feel disconnected from the road in the Camaro like I did the Mustang. Handling was superb and the power/acceleration was scary.

I technically see the Camaro as a American Muscle-car.
I see the FR-S as a compact sports car.

Two different markets and both impressive in their own light.

EDIT (sorry he did not get a ZL1 he got a SS with the 1LE package)
I'm with you. The ZL1 was the other car on my "short" list when I got the FR-S (as were a couple of other cars that make no more sense together than these two do so no one please start the "how could you cross shop the two?", been there answered that one, ain't gonna get into it). Bottom line, Camaros have always been on my short list and I've owned one or two although several of the generations left me cold. The current body style to me ranks third behind the 60's model, and maybe the early 80's model. The other generations, meh.

It should have been lighter but the Camaro has never been a "light" car.

I love the ZL1. I actually prefer it in many ways over the FR-S, but not for the difference in price between the two. Had the FR-S been a $35,000 car, I probably would have bought the ZL1 instead. One day I'll probably buy a used one just because.

I drove several versions of the current body style Camaro. I had no issues with visibility, and really don't think its more limited than the Twins. It was definitely better than my wife's Mustang convertible (with the top up, obviously). To me it also drove much "lighter" than it looks, even in the base models without all the technobabble helping out.

Just my opinion.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote