View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster
 
OldSkoolToys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Drives: AE86, MA70
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 1,899
Thanks: 14
Thanked 282 Times in 148 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
HP and tq aren't my major concerns over the engine.


Its about how it feels, how freely it revs, and how it sounds on the high-end. How it reacts to throttle input, I could go on and on...

The engine has HUGE shoes to fill when it comes to being a "spiritual" 86 successor, which by association, a 4A successor.

Frankly, I have plenty of fun in my stock 4A, which can't (Rather couldn't before its current issue popped up) be pushing more than ~80whp.

I already know that being almost .5 litres larger than a 4A, and the fact it won't be TOO much heavier than the AE86, thats its power/weight ratio will be much better than the AE86 and as such, I'll get the feeling of driving a car with more umph behind it. So thats covered, at least for me.

It all comes down to this simple fact: If Toyota wants to continue doning this car as being a 'spiritual' successor to the AE86 than the BIGGEST issue concerning its powerplant, is how it feels. Because quite frankly, a 4A-GE is just fucking fun as all hell to drive. That is a huge part of the AE86's success (and why its still a popular car to this day) and if they drop the ball on that fact, then they've completely failed trying to do a spiritual revival.

I italized / bolded that one part for everyone wanting this car to last a long time and sell well and become a hit. If you're looking at it from the simplest point, two factors made the AE86 a cult classic: Light weight RWD platform / High free-revving, peppy, screaming 4A-GE. The two together created the classic.

Last point: 200hp is all I'll freekin' need to enjoy this car, given they don't fail on reviving the feel of the 4A.

Last last point: There's already a thread for pricing: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96

Last last last point: What NESW20 said a few posts up.

Last edited by OldSkoolToys; 02-04-2010 at 04:45 PM.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote