Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #50
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
vendors are capitalizing on immaturity of the customers here, and my 1st stick and automatic drivers' driving style

the ease of delivering a smallish turbo kit yeilds a biggish profit and not much needed in ancillary kit.
We call that an underengineered solution, if thats what the customer wants , give it to them

folks dont know about the heat/detonation scope from a smaller turbo pushing 6psi vs a bigger turbo at 6psi, the smaller system costs less, runs hotter and is budgeted at noob level, so they suck it up
its not till your into boost at 10psi for 25 seconds that that smaller setups shortcomings start to create a risk that can cost alot of money

people need to go thru that "my first turbo" if they have never had a real sports car, or real turbo car before
I get the feeling many folks have never owner a turbo before here

dream dynos are great for noobs who will find one that suits them, easy solution

Having had my foot on the pedal of a few german turbo cars, I am a difficult client for most tuners.
the chart I seek is very different from a small turbo graph

Vendors rather sell to them as there are more of them than there are gmookhers of ryephile types. There is no challenege and not much to engineer to give you guys the 2500 boost you want, rightly sized turbo will do that all day. you are all overthinking this and need to go buy the cheapest turbo being offered, and thats the best advice for that crowd. You will never see track time, you will never go to stage2, then the smallest 5.5 psi kit will do, whats all this looking at graphs for?

The stage1 5.5psi turbo kit is perfect for the My Little Pony First Turbo buyer,those guys wont be happy with a SC, Vortech or innovate.

I'm sure visconti will full on advance the timing at 3000 and win some noobie sales with an SC he brings to market, but I dont think I consider johns tuning ethics as safest, but he does produce a stellar dyno chart..
if you want peak tq down low tho, chances are going sc will be a mistake, you'll have you foot all the way into it all the time, and will not enjoy it

Most of these solutions will change the character of the car. That something I have wanted to preserve. I dont like sewing machines.
I'm surprised nobody's released a kit yet with a twin scroll, divided manifold 30R or 35R-ish sized turbos.

Given the EGT and exhaust velocity of this engine, I'd expect a relatively quick spool (sub 3k) and an easy 400hp (30R).
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote