Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,638 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
This is a car manufacturer showing their product which is a deadly 2750 lb, 120 mph weapon, being driven wrecklessly. The car is in some part marketed to drift, and the reprocussions will be felt increasingly if they push that concept too far for the mainstream consumer market.

Yes the commercial portrays a video game based fantasy story, but you can really drive that way in the real world. And it shouldnt be advertised by Toyota in order to protect themselves in many ways. The frustrating part is that this commercial creatively and near perfectly shows exactly what this car does that sets it apart in the market.

You can drive a POS Kia Sportage all over a #%$&'in swamp with no issues but don't drift a sportscar because many people will mimic that behaviour with possibly bad outcomes.

Between insurance rates, liability, marketing...they gotta make the drifting thing a "nudge nudge wink wink" kinda thing if to some extent. The less they actually have to go out and show you this car drifting the better so long as it keeps selling. I am of course speaking for Toyota. And this is my humble opinion.

I'd be really surprised if that commercial was shown here in North America, although it would be cool in the movie theatre like the Matrix ones they did.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote