View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
GingerExtract
actually races
 
GingerExtract's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: Mazda3
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 47
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid35 View Post
I've always had the impression that engine braking is worse than brake pad braking since it puts strain on the engine and transmission (all the turning components) rather than just a cheap brake pad. If you're on a downhill and you don't want you brake pads heating up too much or fading, then maybe you would want to compensate/modulate a little bit of brake pad braking with engine braking, but on a normal flat drive/uphill drive I don't think it's necessary. Actually, more so, I think it's harmful.
Short answer, no, engine breaking does no damage to a motor or transmission. However, if you are not matching revs when downshifting to engine break, say from 5th gear to 3rd or whatever the circumstance calls for, then yes you are wearing the clutch. A lot of big rig truckers do this, it's call compression braking, and I do not recommend it for a street car unless you like replacing clutches.
__________________

Yes, that's my car in the avatar.
GingerExtract is offline   Reply With Quote