View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 03:55 AM   #11
grippgoat

Drives: 2023 BRZ, 2018 Golf R 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I remembered another mod I did over the winter: Faction Fab rear shifter bushing. That combined with the MTEC shifter springs has completely eliminated the difficulty doing the 2-3 shift under cornering load coming onto the straight. The car already had some kind of reinforment (Perrin maybe?) in the transmission mount, but that wasn't enough.

Since the last track day, I've decided to try going back to the 450f/550r springs that came on the car. The rear stiffness is definitely a bit more punishing, but the suspension is clearly working better. The rear isn't lagging behind and feeling floaty over bumps. The baseline Karcepts shock settings feel quite good, with one click more front compression and rebound maybe being better for handling, and one click down on rear rebound and compression feeling a hair underdamped, but more comfortable for street driving.

I also picked up some new RE-71RS in 245/40/17, and had them mounted on the wheels that had Hankook C51 DOT slicks. I'm looking forward to trying them on track. They feel great on the street. They are rubbing when I hit a bump turning right, where the 245/40/17 Supercar 3R tires didn't. I ran the spring perch all the way down and jacked up the wheel to see where it's rubbing, and it appears to just be the plastic fender liner, which was already trimmed, I guess just not enough. Not sure if I'll trim it more, or just leave it. Lol.

After mounting the tires, I moved my alignment toward the Karcepts baseline as well. I had been running -3.3f/-2.4 ish rear camber, with 0 toe front, and 0.5mm per side toe-in rear. Now it's at -4.0f/-2.3r camber, 0.5-1mm total toe-out front, and 2mm per side toe-in rear. I was aiming for about 1.5mm per side rear, but doing DIY it's close enough. 1/2 of a flat (so 1/12 of a turn) on the SPL rear toe links seems to be about a 1mm change in toe, so quite sensitive. That assumes you turn it in the right direction the first time.

I'm looking to hit the track again in the next couple weeks, and I can't wait to see how it does.

-Mike
grippgoat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grippgoat For This Useful Post:
villainous_frx (05-20-2024), Wangspeed (05-06-2024)