View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 06:45 PM   #4424
cmiovino

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP, 2004 WRX
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
@cmiovino assuming it's not a typo running toe out in the rear would be my first guess at a problem putting down power on corner exit. Literally never seen anyone succeed with that on an 86 even with CS/DS setup shenanigans. Hell, I've seen fast times put down with 1/4" toe in in the back.

Edit; always rear toe in on this car imho, you can be very small with it 1/32" on each side for 1/16" total, but I've done zero and it sucks on the freeway and nets you nothing on course. I've done toe out on accident and that's how we finished bottom 10 at nats despite being top half at the ProSolo Finale two days prior.
Typo, it's 1/16" in, per RCE's recommendations and what I was seeing on the STX threads over the years. Although I zeroed front and rear toe when I drove the car in DS for years. If anything I was really thinking crap, good thing I went with at least a bit in with the rear on the alignment or I'd really be all over the place at zero.

I think more of this is a dampening setting issue. The car's not dialed in at all. I had 3-4 runs in and just cranked it up to near the stiffer limit to see if that would change anything. It certainly did make a big difference in the rear turning it up.

I've never had coilovers and didn't think there's be a big difference in settings. I've even second guessed going with the SS-1's now in the fact that there might not be enough dampening... but I haven't maxed it out just yet. Just feels weird being that high up in the settings just to get it to work with the provided 6k springs.

The more I watch the video, I'm not thinking it's a ride height issue or that I'm picking a rear wheel up, but more that the dampening was so soft it was literally not working with the spring properly and kinda working like a blown strut in the rear.

It could be like Andrew's saying that you generally need to be much more on the stiffer side of the settings on the SS-1's for autocross specifically. I mean, they did choose the dampening after all.

Not ruling out the tires and colder temps. The first run was at 40 degrees and the later one was at 55. Fresh rubber might also fix the issue. 170 runs and sat on the car in my garage over winter didn't help.

Doesn't help that nobody runs STX locally. Most guys around here are street class only, even in other cars.
strat61caster (04-08-2024)