Old 04-02-2024, 02:21 PM   #4620
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,202 Times in 3,482 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Today I learned... that if you don't check the pressure in your space saver spare tire for 10 years, it isn't going to help you when you need it most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Many years ago I learned that NOBODY checks the spare tire or most anything else anymore.
I took my 2006 STi in for an “A” service:

Type “A” scheduled maintenance:
  • Replace engine oil and filter
  • Inspect tire condition and adjust all tire pressures including spare tire
  • Inspect and adjust all fluid levels including both differentials
  • Inspect operation of all lights, wipers and washers
  • Inspect and adjust drive belt tension if necessary
  • Service battery
  • Inspect axle boot condition
  • Lubricate all latches, hinges and locks (hood, doors, fuel door and trunk lid)
  • Inspect all steering and suspension components
  • Inspect under body for damage
  • Road test vehicle
After paying and going out to my car I remembered that the right rear brake light was blown and it wasn’t on the bill. So I went back in to talk to the service manager. He said it must have just blown! I said no, I told the girl to mark it down. As I was saying this I read the sign behind the counter that listed everything that they were to have done and how much it cost for each type of service, A, B or C. I then pointed out to him that I shouldn’t have had to mention the blown tail light as its part of the service to check all lights! So he grabbed a bulb and made up a work order and charged me the part but not the installation. We then walked out to the car to replace the bulb. While the truck was opened I pulled up the floor cover and checked the space saver spare. I had a tool kit sitting on it and when I moved it I could see that the dust and dirt had not been disturbed. I asked him about checking the spare. He said they never check, they don’t have time for that crap! After that day all our Subaru’s have only gone to the dealership for warranty work. EVERYTHING else we have done at the wife’s work or by another shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Do that while it's up on the lift to check the diff and CV boots.
It would be right in your face. Ain't nobody got time for that!
Good thing they were FWD!!
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote