View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 03:23 AM   #1
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,304 Times in 720 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Early announcement for the 86BUTTDROP lowering brackets for OEM seats

If you're taller than 6' and/or have a long torso and/or drive the car with the helmet on, you've likely experienced various degrees of issues with the headroom.

As a 6'4" guy with a tall torso myself, I always struggled a bit with my seating position during track days and autox. I had to sacrifice either the legroom, neck comfort or arm position. Every time after a track day my upper back would be tired, and every once in a while I literally needed a chiropractor appointment. I decided I had to figure out a solution.

Some people just switch to aftermarket seats. I'm a believer of the "either full OEM, or full race car" approach to the safety systems, so losing the airbag was not acceptable to me. Additionally, I wanted to keep the seat back adjustable.

The great news is that after some research I found a solution!
I designed and made a prototype mounting bracket for the OEM seat that drops the seat by 15 mm. (I believe it's possible to achieve 20 or even 25 mm below OEM, I'm currently working on a revised design to confirm.)

A couple of days ago I went to a track day where I tested the new seat position and immediately felt an improvement. I was able to improve my arm position and move my head more freely, my "look ahead" vision improved, and best of all I had no discomfort in my upper back the next day!

To lower the seat beyond the OEM range, I had to remove the sliders. There's still a bit of legroom adjustment through the height adjustment mechanism that is retained, in case another tall-ish person needs to drive the car.

The kit doesn't require any cutting or drilling of the OEM parts, and can easily be un-installed. Installing the kit is not harder than installing a bucket seat (I'd argue it's actually easier), and much easier than installing ND Miata Seat Lowering Brackets from Paco Motorsports.

I'm exploring the idea of offering a small batch of these brackets for sale.
alphasaur (02-29-2024), Compelica (12-14-2023), Ultramaroon (12-12-2023)