Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
@Irace86.2.0 post above....

I hadn't noticed before what appeared to be issues with the reignition of the booster engines after separation (based on the engine graphic on the left).That definitely explains the self-destruct, particularly given the issue seems to have been primarily with the steering engines in the center, the outer ring being non-steerable.

It also looks like Starship reached it's suborbital altitude, something else I hadn't noticed before. It just didn't stick the landing at the end. I have to admit it was "this close".
Yeah, looks like it lost power/control of some of the center engines. I don't know if the ring was suppose to light then or after or not at all, but it is clear the gimbal engines didn't all light and then more failed and then boom.

Firing up the engines is not an easy process. Musk was basically saying it is a delicate orchestra of pressure, temperature and timing in a sequence that needs to play out like a ballet. Convo starts at 9:20. I guess we will have to wait for the findings when they get released.

People can say what they want about Musk, but the dude is an engineer at heart. You can tell that. He knows more about the specifics of the rockets, cars, batteries, etc. than most CEOs.

Dadhawk (12-08-2023)