View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 10:09 PM   #9369
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,370 Times in 7,407 Posts
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Random Thoughts - Part III The Search for Spark (No Politics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Tomei appears to use slip fittings which I've had enough of for one build. Plus it's more expensive.

HKS 4-1 is more expensive with worse collectors, shorter primaries, and not rotational firing order.

HKS 4-2-1 has all the same problems plus seems to be out of production.

Borla seems to only have uel anymore. And even then it's got the same problems as HKS.

Not sure what would make headers themselves loud with the rest of the exhaust being stock. Maybe the pipes are thinner? It's hard to find actual specs online and the person on the other side of the phone didn't know anything.

I don’t think I would sweat your initial decision. If you are concerned, call and ask the ceramic coater what their process is. What is there pre processing procedure? How many coats? Inside and out? You shouldn’t have a corrosion issues with 304 unless the coating is compromised. I’ve also never seen 304 develop anything but minor surface corrosion unless improper filler material was used on the weld.

I used to have parts made for corrosive environment at my old job, basically a chlorine pool. Of course the idiot cad guy would just specify “stainless steel” on the drawing. So we would get some parts that would surface rust but that was it, never had a failure. It was because the venders were just using whatever stainless they had on hand since we didn’t specify it on the drawing. It was while walking a trade show in CA and found a company that sold passivation and pickling chemicals for stainless. When I asked what the process was the lightbulb went off on what was happening. We had very good luck with passivated 304 stainless, but we did it for purely cosmetic issues. It was still cheaper than having the part made out of 316 the first time. Even then, I don’t see un-passivated raw 304 developing anything more then mild surface corrosion.
Spuds (12-03-2023)