Old 11-04-2023, 11:43 PM   #7
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Are you supporting the engine so it doesn't flop forward? I've never made that particular mistake (not judging. I make plenty of others) so I have no idea what happens.

Just in case it helps, this is how I do it.

Well, I thought I had it supported. Just a jack w/ a board keeping pressure on the headers/oil pan. I was able to get it close enough to use the bolts/nuts to pull it together today but loosening the motor mounts and actually tipping the engine back a little bit. This gave me a better angle with how I had the transmission ratchet strapped to a 2x4 on my jack.

Did this today by myself, since my buddies I trust for something like this were unavailable. Left my arms pretty gassed, so hopefully tomorrow I can get everything torqued down/starter back in/exhaust reconnected/driveshaft reconnected and pray for now bad sounds or leaks. Saw a few small coolant drops, so I think I might have a small leak somewhere but trying to get it to start I was cranking it a good bit and all of the timing/everything else sounded good (once primed).

Side note, but wanted to mention this for anyone who sees this thread in the future. When I did my first rebuild I didn't prime the engine for long enough and I thought I broke something or had messed up something bad. In reality, I just hadn't gotten oil pressure to the OCVs yet so the camshaft VVT stuff was just slipping/making some noise. You really need to do a good 45-60 seconds (10 second max intervals) of priming. You can do this by pushing down the gas pedal and clutch pedal at the same time, and hitting the start button. Hit it again to stop.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demasrv For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (11-05-2023), strat61caster (11-05-2023)