View Single Post
Old 11-04-2023, 03:27 PM   #23
Killerbee

Drives: GR86 / Supra MK5 MT / MR-S / Z4
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry for the late update here, I was busy the past few weeks with making the car road legal aswell as having some holidays :-)

For the ones that dont care about specifics:
TLDR: Failed the first test due to rubbing on the inner Fenderliner - removed inner Fenderliner, passed 2nd Test - happy

Longer Version:

Some context for ppl not aware how shitty europe laws are on cartuning (and swiss in particular):
We need to get any changes to the car verified by our local goverment facility for cars (like the DMV or whatever its called in the US) So any changes to Wheels, tires, suspension, aerodynamics, spacers etc needs certification from the manufacturer, needs to meet certain legal specs, and will be checked by the goverment if it all fits together on the car. And yes, there are super annyingly nitpicking about it - to a degree where its infuriating.

So my first try to get everything registered within the carpapers went ok, but not fully successfull. To my surprise the Aerokit was not an issue (probably due to me getting very strong certification for it from one of the 2 company's in switzerland who are accepted by the goverment) However Suspension in combination with wheels/tires was not ok to them.
Short version: It did rub ever so slightly under full lock when you were doing a donut like a retard (basically driving like 40ish kmh/30mph and put full load on it while hitting a slight bump on the road) - It did very slightly rub on the inner fenderliner (so the plastic but). Honestly even with my test driving very spirited on shitty montain pass roads in the alps I did not make the car rub (and I was driving it very hard) so it was kind of a surprise to me. Anyways - rubbing = big nono, so I failed the test.

A bit pissed off I took the car home again, and was checking what I could to to fix it. Now I could just have raised the car a bit again, but since they will enter the ride-hight into the carpapers, this would mean I would be stuck at that hight and not be able to lower it again afterwards (without making it illegal again) - So that was not an option - specially cause the way I drive the car I will not rub with current hight.

Checking the inner Fenderliner I noticed all the way on the inside mild rubbing, but getting rid of that would have meant extensive work on the fenderliner, which again I was not willing to do.

So after thinking about it, I came up with the only logical solution - just remove the inner fenderliner completly - I mean, if its not there, you cannot rub on it, right?
Also, they do not note in the carpapers if the inner fenderliner is there or not, so I can always add it again in later (modified, or some custom made one or whatever).

So I went again last week to get it tested again - it obviously did not rub on the non existing inner fenderliner - so I got a passed and I'm good now.

Next up is to fix the Exhaust system as its still a bit lost in there with only 2x120mm Tailpipes. I will probably go for 4x100mm Tailpipes, but this needs some modifications to the rear muffler aswell. I should have more info on that in the next 2-3 weeks
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-11-2024), new2subaru (11-08-2023), Spuds (11-04-2023), villainous_frx (11-05-2023)