Old 10-29-2023, 08:00 PM   #1
demasrv

Drives: 2013 Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
After new short block, car cranks but doesn't start

Hey all,

Just put in a new short block, finally got everything sealed up and connected and but the car won't start. I can hear the fuel pump priming, it turns over fine, once everything was primed it sounds like it should and when it's cranking I can smell some unburnt fuel.

So I'm pretty confident I have compression, air, fuel but not 100% on spark. I know some sensors not functioning or seeing/not seeing a value can cause it to not allow spark, but given the car was running until I spun a rod bearing, I'm thinking the sensors are all working.

The car isn't throwing any codes when I try to start it.

Thoughts are potentially crankshaft position sensor, but I would expect it to throw a code. Could be a cam position sensor as well, or maybe bad spark plugs? Wouldn't think they would all be bad.

The high pressure fuel pump connector gave me a ton of trouble, but if that pump wasn't functioning I'd expect it to at least start/spark but maybe not run.

If it was timing, I'd expect a code, but the arrows definitely pointed at each other when I expected them to, and again it cranks and sounds like I expect it to.

Just looking for some direction/ideas. I know the car mechanically pretty well now, but I'm a bit stumped. I know there are several of us here that have done this short block job or had the engine out of the car, so looking for things that might have been easy to miss.

Last edited by demasrv; 10-29-2023 at 08:25 PM.
demasrv is offline   Reply With Quote