View Single Post
Old 10-22-2023, 05:57 PM   #337
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,002 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
OK, so since Nate has decided he wants to test #18 out at Sebring on November 4th & 5th, I've been pushing a bit to make sure it is ready....

Car had a strange low idle at startup, after a test drive I noticed a CEL and the traction contol light came on and stayed on. Steering wheel was way off center to the right. And it was difficult to get into 1st & 2nd gears. Pulled the current codes:
Engine:
P0011 - A camshaft postion timing, bank 1
P050A - Cold Start idle air control system
P0103 - Mass air flow A circuit high
P0420 - Catalyst below efficiency
VDC/ABS:
C1231 - Steering Angle Sensor Abnormal
Air Conditioner:
B14A1 - Open in Solar Sensor Circuit
Combination Meter
U0151 - Lost Communication with Restraints Control Module

Diagnosed the steering angle sensor code first, EGI fuse was good, getting proper voltage and resistance to the sensor. Tried to recalibrate, calibrated ok, cleared code but triggered the code again when driven. A new steering rack had been installed so I checked the rotations and centered the rack, wheel was again off center to the right. Removed and recentered steering wheel and re-clocked the clockspring. Reassembled, re-calibrated sensor, cleared code and road tested. All good.

Moved on the the engine codes, not concerened about the P0420 as the car is now cat-less. But checked all 4 camshaft position sensor and MAF sensor harnesses, cleaned and made sure they were secured. Cleared codes and road tested. P0103, P050A & P0420 (no surprise) were back. P050A says to ensure mass air flow is good as it can trigger that code, checked voltage and resistance at MAF, all good, removed sensor....found the bottom half broken off. Replaced sensor, cleared codes and road tested. Only P0420 code was current. P0103, P050A show as permanent, but that is normal as the car must go through a few drive cycles before the permanent codes will clear.

The U0151 code is of no concern as all the airbags and airbag controller have been removed. The B14A1 code I ignored as the AC works fine, and it really isn't important for the solar sensor to work in a track car....also, the front windshield is currently tinted very dark (it will be removed eventually) so that may be messing with this sensor (its on the dash).

Checked shifter, found the reverse lockout plate way out of adjustment, re-adjusted. Now shifts perfectly.

Washed the car up, Dave & Nate will be picking it up next Saturday to get it corner balanced, aligned, nut & bolted and a few minor details completed before it heads to Sebring.

Once it is successfully tested at the track, it'll get a custom EcuTek tune. Then off for a cage, seats & harnesses....and hopefully a new steering wheel...lol I do like the WRB w/gold wheels!
Attached Images

Last edited by Opie; 10-23-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Opie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Opie For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-23-2023), Dadhawk (10-23-2023), JD001 (10-29-2023), RedReplicant (10-24-2023)