Old 10-14-2023, 11:44 AM   #51
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,806 Times in 3,300 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm all over a new MR2, and would prefer the ICE version as you describe. I couldn't give them my money fast enough, assuming it isn't some hideous physical design. (I'm not a fan of the MR2 designs that have been floating around)

Ultimately can you really make a mid-engine (mid-motor?) EV? I think the best you could do is get what is referred to as a mid-battery EV which better distributes some of the weight. Pretty much any EV is going to be either front or rear or front/rear motor though since the motor is best over the axle, or at the wheel hubs.
Yeah it is more of a powertrain packaging, but EV motors tend to be mid engine, as the bulk of the motor(s) is(are) between the axles.

The Evija here and original Roadster did a battery stack instead of a skateboard, but I believe a skateboard design would still be MR enough to count, especially in driving dynamics, which is really what we are talking about. Any MR setup should have the weight between the axles with a rear bias over the rear wheels. For example, the TM3 RWD is 47/53 and the Cayman is 46/54.

It is far from a rear engine setup.

Dadhawk (10-14-2023)