View Single Post
Old 10-05-2023, 01:08 AM   #29
bkd705

Drives: 2023 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can personally say with the 2nd gen cars, the OEM brakes are not going to keep up if you're fast at the track.

My setup was OEM calipers, Stoptech Slotted Rotors and Hawk DTC-30s at beginning of season then swapped to DTC-60s near end of season.

Been looking heavily for a BBK as after 20 days with about 8 of those being competition days its clear the OEM brakes can't keep up. They don't disapate heat well so you tend to rip through rotors and pads because of all the heat that gets built up.

The AP kit will not be cheaper for consumables. Even with the heat build up causing rotors to wear prematurely and pads to consume fairly quick (went through 3 sets of pads this summer, I would go through the same on my 3600lbs M2C), the price for the rotor replacement and pad replacement on the stock setup is incredibly cheap (in maple syrup dollars). AP, even the sprint kit, is almost double for rotor ring replacements. In reality, they will last longer with better heat management (even the Stoptechs died quick with the aggro Hawks), but they're not lasting double.

However, the theory with the BBK is that I'd get a better brake pedal feel, a more consistent feel (the stock setup would change day to day as the pads/rotors wore), and even a bit of placebo confidence. With the Sprint kit specifically, I've heard mix reviews locally, and as Smoltz mentioned, it might not be the biggest upgrade over stock. I'm debating what to do (BM4 kit is fugly, AP Pro500R expensive, C43 doesn't have a bracket, etc etc).

With all that said, for a dedicated track car, especially if you're pushing for faster times or competing, a BBK is necessary on the second gen cars. I know people got away with stock kit on the first gen twins but I don't think it works well on second gen.

For a daily car that you take to the track here and there, and are a bit more casual or just doing HPDE/autocross. Stick with the stock setup, and replace rotors, fluid and pads. You don't need more than that.