Old 08-22-2023, 11:27 AM   #931
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
For me, I definitely would have kept my '17 PP for another couple of years if I didn't suddenly have to replace it. Weirdly enough the '23 feels a little *slower* around town, I guess due to throttle mapping. TBH the last-gen was if anything a little too "jumpy", it made my '11 Cayman feel *slow* on trips around town even with its Sport Chrono SPORT button mashed (God forbid you forget to do that...)!

Feel for me on the street is pretty close to the same overall. New gauges kinda suck compared to the old ones, I miss the nice bright red illuminated tach needle, and of course the screen can wash out a bit with incident sunlight. Also the "updated" fuel gauge is dumb, 12 discrete bars when much much finer resolution is useful for me, combined with a range/"distance-to-tank-empty" that now decrements in 10-mile units, which is just STUPID! Old one, getting nearish to empty you'd get a countdown 10-9-8... all the way to zero. So previously you could know your "safe" range at a glance, now you have to figure out *where* in the 10-mile increment you are, and then it goes to "--" after 10-miles, depriving you of any knowledge of range when it is most critical to know. grrr....
Other gripe, no more CD player

On the plus side, new car is quite a bit FASTER at the track. Even saddled with +200 lb. more weight, I'm hitting speeds +5mph faster so far at known tracks (Thompson CT, Palmer MA). Faster lap times as well, by about 1 second, despite +200 lb. weight penalty and being on 225 A052s with the new car vs. 245s on the old one. Also beat my previous best time at Palmer in the old car on Hoosier A7s, with the new on on A052s. Looking forward to Watkins Glen in a few weeks, where additional power should really pay off!

For looks, I never understood people's assessments of gen1 vs. gen2. If anything, gen2 is more organic and sculpted and in grey kinda sharklike, vs. more aggro and mechanical for gen 1 with more angry bird-of-prey headlights. Love both, gen 1 definitely looks goofier stock though (mine was lowered ~35mm), gen2 is less on stilts in stock form (mine's 30/35mm lower).
200 more lbs in weight?

Oh because of classing. That's irrelevant to people who aren't worried about that.