Old 08-18-2023, 10:16 PM   #35
RT-BRZ
FNG

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Which would you suggest, that approximately matches my turbo BRZ's performance level? I've not yet found one! The closest ones all cost FAR more than what's in the BRZ, and simultaneously manage to cost way more to run.

Then again, having a warranty is nice; that's definitely where the extra money spent goes.
I don't think there any easy answers. Honestly, I think you build the car to the best estimate and then replace the engine when it pops and, hopefully, take the opportunity to build it a little stronger to handle what you're doing going forward. Otherwise, just run what you have until it goes.

Warranty is nice but I didn't think that's what this conversation was really about. I thought we were talking about reliability of stock internals.

In the end, everyone has to work out their own budget tolerance.

Everything has a failure rate at a given duty cycle/load. In stock form and without adding things it appears that these engines seem to generally do OK despite the hyperbole of the internet and the spot failures. As you deviate from the stock configuration and/or increase the load/duty cycle the rates of failure seem like they logically go up.

I have a buddy that built his own turbo kit for his '13 BRZ and has made it a point to try and limit both temps and boost (under 10psi) to try and extend the engine's life. We'll see if that strategy works or not.

So, in the end, there probably isn't anything (looking forward) that will match your current turbo BRZ's performance level for the money. Obviously I'm not in the camp of the more expensive boosted car because it costs too much IMO. Of course I'm not boosted either. I'm responding in this thread because I'm hoping to learn something that will dispel what I already think. So far, I'm not seeing anything that changes my belief that boosting the engine with stock internals is a long term strategy. That doesn't make anyone else wrong for doing it. It just means that I need to find that point when it will make sense.
RT-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RT-BRZ For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-18-2023)